Monday, October 28, 2013

You are not, in fact, the terrible wife, mother, friend, christian, etc... that Pinterest wants you to believe you are...

I woke up somewhere between 5:30 and 5:36 this morning. I got myself showered, fed, dressed, and pretty and arrived at work by 7:30. For the next 8.75 hours or so, I treated patients back to back to back, educated parents, and helped share the responsibility of general clinic administrative upkeep. Somewhere around 10am, I happened to see the date in the lower right hand corner of my computer and realized it was a coworkers birthday, at which time I quietly organized a humble but heartfelt birthday celebration to be held at lunch. 

Upon leaving work, I proceeded to sit in traffic for nearly an hour, despite the fact that I live only 15 miles from work. I then made a grocery list, fixed dinner, got the hubby fed and off to his open mic gig, and headed to Hobby Lobby (step 1 in the process of homemade Halloween costumes my coworker and I are putting together). 

After leaving Hobby Lobby, I made a Monday night trip to HEB for what will be a little over a week's worth of groceries. Because it is late, the doors that usually enter were closed, so I made my shopping loop backwards, back tracking multiple times (I tend to forget items when I fail to follow my shopping routine). I finally made it back home around 9:00, schlepped the groceries to the apartment, unloaded them (hopefully they are all in the right place - no milk in the pantry, right?!), and washed/chopped/separated all of the fresh produce. Fresh cauliflower makes a HUGE mess, so I swept the floor, washed the dishes, and finished the night by cutting out the template to decorate our costumes tomorrow morning. 

And yet somehow, while acknowledging the impressiveness of my day, I find myself less impressed with all that I accomplished and more concerned with where my day fell short. I do not know why, perhaps the daily onslaught of media, be it social or otherwise, but rather than patting myself on the back for the strength and determination (amongst other qualities) I exhibited today, my mind is drawn to the fact that, although I ate 3-4 'fun size' candies today, I failed to make it to the gym. Although I fed my husband a hot, home cooked meal, I do not know whether anything I fed him contained GMO's or high fructose corn syrup, or whatever awful else may be in foods these days. Although I took time out of my day to acknowledge and celebrate my friend's birthday, I did not bring him homemade treats. 

And so I stood in the kitchen tonight, chopping vegetables (not all organic) and mentally menu planning breakfasts, lunches, and dinners for the week. Mentally organizing my days to find time to get into the gym or out for a run. Visualizing a calendar with due dates of bills and tasks to be completed. And one thought began to overwhelm all of the others:

You have enough. You give enough. You do enough. You ARE enough.

So this is what I want to share with you. I read facebook posts, I have conversations, I know how many of you finish each day feeling as though you could have done more or better. And I want to encourage you that, despite what television, or movies, or Pinterest tells you, you ARE enough. Some nights, you may work late and send the husband for Taco Bell. You may miss a deadline or lose an account at work. You may hand your kids your iPhone while eating dinner at the Olive Garden just to get through the meal. And there is nothing more, or better, that you can do. 

Today, I believe I am Wonder Woman. I have little to no evidence to refute that, so that settles it. At least for today, I AM Wonder Woman. Tomorrow, well, we'll see....

2 comments:

  1. I am amazed at what you accomplished in this one day! It's so good to focus on what is good and what you have done well. Don't let those accusing thoughts have a moment of your time. There may come a time when you have to confess you've really blown it, but I'm glad you don't let the "little foxes" steal your joy. I love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! You did so much! Much more than I do. Some days are like that though. Some days you just don't do anything. Justin and I are in a period of rest time because of all we have going on. Most nights I wonder what I could have done differently instead of going for a walk, reheating the night before's dinner, and just getting lost watching breaking bad while snuggling in the cold with my husband. Some nights I think that I could have cleaned or made more food for the next day. But you really have to just sit back and do nothing. Sometimes you just have to sit back and absorb life, otherwise it will just pass you by.

    ReplyDelete